PINTEREST

Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Women with Horse Digital Painting - Inkscape

Sometime you just have to get out of your comfort zone and try something really different, learning how to fish along the way. This is that project.

I've been watching "how to draw" video's for several weeks and had some fun with all I was learning about filters, layers etc.  After about 20+ hours in Inkscape and exporting and printing from APE I finally have something I'm OK with.  You do have to let go eventually.

I have avoided layers for years now but I learned that if you are going to have this many things and you are going to continually tweak them they have to be in layers, so I learned how to create, lock/unlock, and which ones have to be above and which below others.  WHEW.

Most of this I drew myself.  The horse came from a font silhouette and needed the tail, mane, and hooves.  The maiden is a mannequin silhouette that I drew hair, shirt, and pants on.

Mountains are just variations on triangles rounded and smoothed with Country Shading filter. The sky, desert are also shaded with Country Shading filters (downloadable free) and installed in Inkscape.

What I learned about filters, again, is that it works best if you duplicate the element, remove the fill and apply the filter to the top layer.  I also learned that Inkscape gets really bored with changing the filters over and over and I had to copy/paste into new files to keep going.  Altogether I have 12 different files of this with multiple saves each and multiple printing from APE.  I need to let go since they are fairly large in kb/mb size and computer wants to slow down a bit.

I'll provide the svg file for those of you who like to disect to see what was done and discern how or just want to snag one or two of the images.  I'm also providing a large .jpg imge to print as is.  Large because it is 300 dpi for best printing.  I printed on double sided matte photo paper.  If I ever find my water color paper I might try printing on it to see what difference it makes.  One thing about printing tho.  I have a big Cannon printer with color cartridges so your color may turn out differently.

Although all the elements are paths and could be cut separately and might look great with the dimension it would give if you attached them separately, I'm happy just using it as a framed painting.

DOWNLOAD
woman horse svg
woman horse printable hres

Thanks for stopping by and I hope this has encouraged you to continue to learn how to fish!