PINTEREST

Thursday, April 2, 2015

Text Flow Around Object - Inkscape Word Art

I really like doing WordArt for designs that are a little different.  I wanted to wrap text around an image, not in an image and discovered I could do it in
Inkscape with a feature called text/flow into frame.  It is a bit quirky and there are little to no instructions on "how to" 

I got some help from the Inkscape Forum to get me started. 



Text Flow around an Path Object

First, draw a path the shape of the text you want to have. 
If it is around a certain object, then the inside path should be shadow outline of the object inside, the shape  

Combine the two paths.

Make an unflowed text object, type in the desired characters. block, not centered w/
carriage returns. Do space between characters and line spacing to taste.

Select text and path, and make it flowed (Alt+W). 

Group together the flowed text and the path. 

You can adjust the shape of the path after with the node tool, the text will follow; add no fill and outline to it -will be still visible in outlines only display mode to change display mode).

If you want to move the text, move the group itself.

to release from path:  path/object to path???

Here is a link to the Source from whence this help came.



What I learned along the way is that after releasing the text I could ungroup and edit it.  I moved some words around to better fit, colored some words.

After getting what I wanted I converted to bitmap and made a iron-on transfer and put it on a t-shirt. I did the shirt before I learned that I could edit the text and rearrange the words.

For my "cutting" friends I printed just the words with the blank inside and did a P2C of the flower so it could be attached in the blank space.

I then went completely crazy and started doing "frig" magnets and laminated it. This is one of my favorites

Enough already!   I think you get the idea that if you are adept at Inkscape and have the time you can design some really unique WordArt images for all purposes.  I found some great inspirational quotes on the internet.

If you have questions just email or comment and I'll do my best to answer.

Thanks for stopping here today.

My System:
  • Mac w/ Yosemite
  • Inkscape  
  • Ecal w/ Sizzix eclips